Opening its doors in 1949 as the Lord Nelson Tavern, Oasis is now the oldest tavern in Halifax. In 1963, The Lord Nelson Beverage room AKA Ladies Beverage room or LBR was opened, the first beverage room in Canada, which meant women where allowed in without an escort and had their own space*. In fact, to be a male on the LBR side they had to be escorted and invited over by the women in attendance!
Located in the heart of downtown on 5661 Spring Garden Rd as we have been for nearly 70 years. Along with our loyal and wonderful bartenders Norm and Louis, who have been serving students and locals alike for almost 85 years combined.
Halifax’ #1 sports bar and your home for the UFC, constantly the only bar in town committed to showing every fight. Whether you are watching the fights, the big game, or just relaxing with friends join us for some of the best pub food in the city and our famous $10+tax pitchers.
*Lord Nelson Beverage room acquired the licence on Aug 20th/1962
*The Liquor Control Act of 1961 set up a liquor licensing board and retained local option provisions for adding (but not removing) government stores in a municipality. Local option, common in other regions of Canada, was the Rowe report’s concession to the temperance forces. In licensing areas without licensed premises, the earlier plebiscite rules applied and the onus for initiating a vote rested with wets, not drys. Where voters had previously endorsed licensed premises, no further votes were required for additional businesses. The tourism industry scored one victory: resort hotels that catered primarily to visitors were exempt from local option. The amendments also broadened the variety of on-premise licences: clubs, taverns, beverage rooms, restaurants, dining rooms and lounges. The age of the cocktail lounge had finally arrived. Women, furthermore, could be admitted to “ladies beverage rooms”, separate sections in taverns for women and male escorts. Beverage room licences were granted only to hotels. The first beverage room opened in 1963 in Halifax, and by 1970 the number had crept up to three. The Rowe commission had recommended against this last change, but had urged the licensing authorities to improve the atmosphere of taverns, which under the 1948 regulations appeared to have been designed “exclusively for drinking”